Tuesday, January 22, 2008

To be homemade..to not be homemade....

Before going to college my mom gave me something that I will carry with me for many years to come. She gave me..... a cookbook. It was entitled "Wheres mom now that I need her?", it is not just a cookbook, it has helpful tips about almost anything! One stand by that I have found to be my favorite is the recipe for "Quick and Delicious Bread" found on pg. 100. It is so easy, so simple, and turns out perfect EVERY time! Now, for the majority of the world, it would seem so much easier to go to the store and pick up a bag of bread and toss it in the cart. However, I am a more shall we say....pioneer woman :) Ok, not in every sense of the word, but when it comes to making this bread I think of myself as a pioneer woman! There is no bread machine involved....WAIT! I can hear the groans and the beginnings of scrolling on to the next page....WAIT! This bread is SO easy, there is no need for a machine! Go ahead, give it a try and you will see just how delicious it REALLY is!

Ingredients:

3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 cups warm water
2 pkgs. yeast
1/3 cup cooking oil
1 egg beaten
3 tsp. salt
8 cups of flour

Combine sugar, warm water, and yeast in large mixing bowl; let stand 10 min. Combine cooking oil and egg and add yeast mixture. Stir in salt and 3 Cups of flour; mix well. Stir in additional 3 cups of flour; mix well. Add enough of the remaining flour to make a soft, sticky dough. (please note: if you have a standing mixer, like a kitchen aid, attach your dough hook and let it do the work for you!) Cover bowl and allow dough to rise until double in bulk; punch down, turn dough over in bowl, and allow to rise, covered, until double in bulk again-about 45 min. Shape dough into three loaves and put in greased pans; cover and allow to rise until doubled, about 30 min. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 min., or until loaves are lightly browned. Brush crusts with melted butter to soften. (Cut a slice right away and enjoy the savory goodness of your creation!)

Note: if you are having trouble getting your dough to rise, the room may be to cool. A helpful hint would be pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees while you are making your bread dough. When you are ready for it to rise, turn off your oven, cover your dough and place in the oven. It works every time!

3 comments:

Pii said...

hai . ..

Driftwood Girl said...

we have that cook book too. It's Jason's from your mom.... hmmmm... i'm not really a fan of making my own bread. Rolls? yes. Bread? I get scared. But I'll try it.

The Logans said...

Wendy is right, it is easy. However, I do have one crutch..no bread machine, but I do have the kitchen aid with the bread hook. I'm trying this recipe right now.