Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Delicious sounding pie from Ginny!

Aunt Bee's Apple Pie (the real Aunt Bee from the Andy Griffith show!)

Crust
1/2 C butter or margarine
4 oz. cream cheese
2 C all purpose flour
Pie
2 1/2 C sliced apples
1 C sugar
1/3 C orange juice
2 T honey
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 T all purpose flour
1/2 C butter or margarine
In a large bowl combine 1/2 C butter and the cream cheese, and let come to room temperature. Add 2 C of flour, and blend well. Chill. Roll out half of the dough and place in a 9 in. pie plate. Reserve the remaining dough for the top crust.
In a saucepan combine the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Pour the mixture into the crust. Roll out the remaining crust and place over the filling. Cut slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
Serves 6-8
Ok, so that is the exact instructions from my Mayberry Cookbook. However, I have tweaked it a bit, but I can't give you exact measurements because I don't know what they are. :) First of all, I use more cream cheese or butter than they call for. Doesn't matter which one you use more of, but the crust is very dry if you make it in their measurements. It's crumbly to work with. After I roll it out I also sprinkle a little cinammon and sugar on it too.
The pie mixture I do as they direct, but if I don't have orange juice I have used lemonade.
Finally, in the last 10 minutes of the pie baking I put a little bit of milk on top of the crust (with a brush if you have one or just pour it on carefully) and then I sprinkle cinammon and sugar on the crust. It sticks to the milk and makes for a super yummy crust.
Good Luck. Can't wait to hear how it goes. If you have made a regular pie before, please note that this crust is not the greatest as far as manageability. Also, I don't know if you have a Kitchen Aid mixer, but I've used my bread hook and made the crust in there the last time. That was super easy!
Ginny

Thanks Ginny!!

1 comments:

Driftwood Girl said...

Man! I'm gaining weight just reading this blog!! AAAAHHHH!!! pie is bliss...