Sunday, November 20, 2011

Kid friendly cookies

We had a special dinner a few weeks ago at our church and I knew there would be some little ones running around so I wanted to make some kid friendly desserts.  They are simple sugar cookies made to look like a melted snowman.  SUPER cute and the kids loved them!  I wish I had a bit more artistic ability to make them even cuter, but hey, it was my first time and in the eyes of my little ones they looked amazing :)  The idea came from here.

What I used:
My sugar cookie recipe came from here....

  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Also, you will need frosting, I made my own from scratch but you can easily pick up some already made and also  giant marshmallows.

For the cookies: 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside. 
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets. 
Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.  

Once the cookies are cool, load them up with the cookie icing and spread it around with the back of a spoon, let some dribble over the edge for a "puddle" look.  Spray a microwave safe plate with cooking spray and place your giant marshmallows on it.  Cook the marshmallows for 20 seconds.   Be sure to really watch them because you don't want the marshmallows to double in size.
Spray your fingers and then pull off the plate and place on cookie.  The simply decorate the cookies how you want them to look!  So cute and kids love them!

















photo courtesy

From my kitchen to yours, ENJOY!

1 comments:

Grammie's Blog said...

I Love this cookie. It is sooooo cute. I will have to try it sometime.