Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Potatoes au Gratin

My honey and I decided to have a date night in so I decided to get creative!  I wanted to fix something NEW and exciting :)  Since my hubby is the epitome of a meat and potatoes man, I found this recipe to be simply perfect!  I had not tried my hands at Potatoes au Gratin for one reason alone....with a name like that it sounded rather time consuming!!  However, this recipe proved me wrong!  Give 'em a try and let me know what you think!

What I used:

  • 4 whole large Potatoes, Scrubbed Clean
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
  • 1-½ cup Heavy Cream
  • ½ cup 2% Milk
  • 2 Tablespoons Flour
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  •  Ground Pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
 Pre-heat over to 400 degrees.  Slice your potatoes thin, but not too thin.  Quarter them up as you go and toss them in a bowl of water to keep them from turning colors.  Once your potatoes are all cut up mix together your heavy whipping cream, milk, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper!  Mix well.  Take your softened butter and smear it all around your baking dish.  (I used a round casserole dish)  Add 1/2 of your potatoes to the bowl and top with 1/2 of your liquid mixture.  Repeat layer until all potatoes and liquid are in your baking dish.  Wrap with foil and bake for 30 min.  Remove foil and cook another 20 min. 
Remove dish from the oven and top with cheddar cheese and place back in oven for another 5 min. or so.   
The cooking time takes awhile, but the end result is phenomenal!

0 comments: