Friday, July 30, 2010

Helpful tip from the kitchen!

I'm sure you have noticed the prices of meat in the stores.  Are they not outrageous at times?  I usually head to the ground beef selection at some point during my grocery shopping and am shocked at the $3 prices for a single pound of meat!!  Having just moved out to the dessert I'm not sure if that is a good price or not for this area, but to me and my pocketbook, it isn't great.  However, I do have a helpful tip!

You can find your ground beef even a dollar cheaper by buying the more fatty beef.  Now before you go all awol on me about how unhealthy that would be, let me explain.  I started doing this as a young bride in an effort to pinch every penny I could.  I would buy the more fatty pound of beef then once the fat has cooked out of it, into the form of all that nasty grease, I rinse my beef off by putting it under the faucet.  Getting rid of all that excess fat.  I fill my pan/skillet with water, stir it around a bit, and drain.  I do this a few times, giving that grease that wants to stay attached to my meat it's eviction notice.
Now, if you are looking for an even better price in meat by saving sometimes up to $2 for a pound of ground meat, try using ground turkey instead.  I rarely find ground turkey over $2 for a pound and it is much healthier for you than beef anyway.  Plus, there is not much difference in taste, the main difference is in the texture until it is cooked.
Hope that helps to tighten the wallet a bit more as well as the waste line!
*Photo courtesy of googleimages.com

0 comments: